Most Read

Top stories

First Responders Deployed After Trump Supporters Were Stranded in the Cold After Omaha MAGA Rally

First Responders Deployed After Trump Supporters Were Stranded in the Cold After Omaha MAGA Rally
@Jeff_Paul/Twitter // Steve Pope/Getty Images

With only days to go before the 2020 election, President Donald Trump's campaign has doubled down on its infamous rallies, hosting thousands of tightly-packed supporters despite virus cases reaching record highs in recent days.

But things went off the rails after one of Trump's October 27 rallies in Omaha, Nebraska.

The rally was held at Eppley Air Field, where Trump departed in Air Force One after he finished speaking.

At the beginning of the rally, attendees parked their cars in a designated area nearly four miles away before buses provided by the Trump campaign shuttled them over to the venue.

But after the rally, the airport roads were too crowded for the buses to navigate, forcing hundreds, potentially thousands, of Trump supporters to wait for hours in freezing cold temperatures.

At least seven of the attendees—many of whom were elderly—were taken to the hospital, and 30 needed medical attention, as Twitter account @omaha_scanner learned from monitoring official radio communication. Omaha police later confirmed this.

The frigid temperatures and lack of transportation presented yet another set of obstacles in assuring the safety of Trump's rallies. They've already faced widespread criticism for holding the crowded events during the pandemic, against the advice of health experts.

Trump and his allies were once again accused of not caring about their own supporters.

Some saw metaphors amid the chaos.

Only 46 minutes before the time of this writing, Trump tweeted about the "incredible evening" he had in Nebraska. He's yet to acknowledge the bereft and freezing supporters who were stranded until late into the night.

UPDATE, 10/28: The Trump campaign has issued a statement blaming the traffic on road closures and general congestion.