New Year's is all about spending time with your friends, family, and thinking about how you can be a better person. Who am I kidding? It's about pretending to be better for a day or so, and then going back to your old ways and focus on New Years resolution memes instead of actually doing work.
Christmas is the time for joy and cheer, and contrary to what Hallmark might say, we can indeed be joyful and cheerful without a beau. However, some family members might have missed the memo. But, don't worry, these "I'm still single" Christmas card quotes will make sure Aunt Linda minds her own business.
Written by Gigi Sieke
Don't be alarmed when you fall Head Over Feet for "Jagged Little Pill." This musical will make you cry, fall in love, and download Jagged Little Pill the Musical right away. Music was written by the ONE, the ONLY, (drum roll please) Alanis Morissette! The creative genius and voice of the '90s.
This show touched base on so many different problems in our society, like drug abuse, the pressure of fitting in, date rape, depression, and racism. Diablo Cody brings to life the typical "just add water" instant Connecticut family, but with sex, drugs, and rock&roll.
This hit Broadway production is all about the "perfect" family with the perfect son, the daughter that starts a revolution, and the overworked, confused husband. Mary Jane (M.J.), played by Elizabeth Stanley, is the mother that tries to seem perfect but couldn't succeed. By taking prescription pills and eventually street drugs, she went from SMILING to crashing. The husband, Steve, or Mr. Healy, played by Sean Allen Krill, longs for attention, even if its a few clicks away. Nick Healy (the perfect son) played by Derek Klena, got all his doting mother's care. Nick is, "the only thing I have ever done right," she says.
On the other side, Frankie (Mary Francis Healy), played by the newest IT GIRL making her Broadway debut Celia Gooding, longed for her parents to understand her. She wanted to make a difference in the world because she couldn't make a difference at home. The casting for each family member was outstanding, and the Healy family could out-sing the Von Trapps.
Joanne (Jo), played by Lauren Patten, was Frankie's lady lover and best friend. Lauren's energy that she projected while singing YOU OUGHTA KNOW left the crowd dumbfounded, and she received a standing ovation in the middle of act two. Frankie couldn't help but fall HEAD OVER FEET in love with Phoenix, Antonio Cipriano. With his dashing good looks and smooth singing he swept her off her feet. Antonio Cipriano is making his Broadway debut, and I can guarantee it will be up for a Tony Award. Congratulations, not only did you steal the girl, but you are going to take all the awards too. Bella Fox, played by Kathryn Gallagher, experienced everyone's worst nightmare. The predator, Andrew Montefiore, played by Logan Hart,was the most worshipped kid in town, yet the most heartless. ISN'T IT IRONIC that the guy whose last name is Hart plays the heartless villain in the story.
The ensemble, Oh My, the Ensemble! They did such a fantastic job. Not only working the stage, but they were also high schoolers, moms, rockers, and they could belt out every song. They sounded amazing. My mind and my ears were blown away. The ensemble made the show more compelling. I couldn't help but feel the urge to hop up on the stage and rock out with them. In the song "No" I cried. They made me rethink my perspective of society. When I saw the sign, "rapists don't see color" I lost it.
The choreography was amazing. For example, when the song UNINVITED played, it was as if the woman dancing was interpreting what M.J. was singing and feeling, but still choreographed. Same for the song PREDATOR, it was an out-of-body experience for Bella. She had no control of what would happen, no control stopping it, or stopping him. In the reversed scene of SMILING, the dancers/ensemble didn't miss a single step. I felt as if I was rewinding a movie. They moved entirely with every song and created emotions throughout the theatre.
After the OVERTURE, the lights went dark. You see pictures on a blank screen, like a canvas in your mind, and then a set designed in the form of the typical two story house. They used the stage to their advantage, simply modern, I was looking for Alexa.
Am I at a rock concert in Connecticut or a Broadway show, because by the costumes, I can't tell the difference? You can so tell who all are the basic neighbors, haha!! I loved how the ensemble was able to wear rock and roll inspired clothing. It showed the ensemble's freedom; no one could judge them. For the Healy's however, they had to wear something stricter, almost like dress code in the household. They were always being judged by their neighbors, friends, and each other.I fell in love, so hard, I didn't want it to end. The music went perfectly with every scene. I had listened to Alanis Morissette's music before, and I already loved it. Alanis wrote new songs just for this hit production, such as "Smiling" and "Predator". It still blows my mind people can create these fantastic works of art into songs.
I would recommend "Jagged Little Pill" to everyone. If it's your first show, see it. If it's your 300th, what are you waiting for? It will change your awareness of the world and the people around you. Imagine their life through their eyes by being a fly on the wall or a fly in their Chardonnay. Get your tickets now!!
Christmas is about being with those you love. And, although presents are nice, it can also be a time to center yourself with your family, your friends, and God. So, here are some Christmas Bible verses that will help you remember the most important aspects of the holidays.
So, whether you are focusing on your family, remembering His love, or thinking about ways to be a better person, these Bible verses will help you through the holidays. Because Christmas is the perfect time to take a step back and be thankful for your family and friends, as well as thankful for the person you have become.
When talking about the birth of Jesus.
Because we all know He is the reason we're all celebrating.
- "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given, and the government will be upon His shoulders. And He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6
- "But after he had pondered these things, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said 'Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to embrace Mary as your wife, for the Once conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a Son, and you shall give Him the name Jesus, because He will save His people from their sins." - Matthew 1:20
- "Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel." - Isaiah 7:14
- "But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger." - Luke 2:10
When we need to remember the love of God.
Hallmark movies are right, Christmas is the season of love.
- "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16
- "What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?" - Romans 8:31
- "In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins." - John 4:9
- "Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love." - John 4:7
When we need to remember that grace is more important than presents.
Gift cards are cool, but so is finding peace and grace within yourself.
- "For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ." - John 1:17
- "The Word became flesh and made His dwelling among us. We have seen His glory, the glory of the one and only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth." - John 1:14
- "Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." - Corinthians 12:8
- "Do not be carried away by all kinds of strange teachings. It is good for our hearts to be strengthened by grace, not by eating ceremonial foods, which is of no benefit to those who do so." - Hebrews 13:9
When we need to remember that we are constantly changing for the better.
What better time to focus on self-growth than the holidays. This is also the perfect time to think about how we will grow and improve next year.
- "Say to the Daughter of Zion, 'See, your King comes to you, gentle and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey.' So the disciples went and did as Jesus had directed them. They brought the donkey and the colt and laid their cloaks on them, and Jesus sat on them." - Matthew 21:5
- "To do what is right and just is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice." - Proverbs 21:3
- "And he answered, 'you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.' And he said to him, 'you have answered correctly; do this, and you will live.'" - Luke 10:25
- "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." - Jeremiah 29:11
When we need to focus on our family.
Family is truly the reason for the season. There is nothing more important than spending that quality time with those you love the most.
- "Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you." - Colossians 3:13
- "Children are a heritage from the LORD, offspring a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their opponents in court." - Psalm 127:3
- "Children's children are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children." - Proverbs 17:6
- "As a mother consoles a child, so I will console you, and you will be consoled over Jerusalem." - Isaiah 66:13
'IT: Chapter Two' Director Compares Donald Trump to Pennywise, Says He 'Does Exactly What the Clown Does'
Director Andy Muschietti is determined to make sure that IT: Chapter Two, the most recent adaptation of Stephen King's seminal novel IT, isn't just a regular horror movie. He told AFP that he's making sure the film is “connected to the times that we live in.”
In doing so, he connected the primary antagonist, the terrifying Pennywise the Clown, to President Donald Trump and certain other world leaders. The comparison doesn't come through looks or words, but through tactics.
Dior and Johnny Depp Face Backlash After New Native American-Themed 'Sauvage' Campaign Is Called Out For Racism
As early as 2015, Dior began floating ads featuring vaguely Native American themes and Johnny Depp, who has been the face of Dior parfum line Sauvage—savage in English—for several years. The new campaigns featured Depp in a decidedly less polished tuxedo-clad international playboy look and more Native American imagery.
At the time, Dior and Depp received backlash over hinting at a connection between Native Americans and a product called sauvage. The line itself has been part of Dior Parfum since 1966 without any Native American connection.
Soccer Star Just Used a Mic on the Field to Send a Passionate Message to Congress About Gun Violence
Americans across the country were horrified on Sunday at two mass shootings 13 hours apart in El Paso, Texas and Dayton, Ohio. They were the 249th and 250th mass shootings in the United States in 216 days.
The tone at Audi Field in Washington, D.C., however, was jovial as Philadelphia Union soccer team captain Alejandro Bedoya scored a goal against home team D.C. United.