The Department of Defense Just Contradicted Donald Trump's Explanation for Why He Canceled the Military Parade

WASHINGTON, DC - AUGUST 1 : President Donald J. Trump speaks during a meeting with inner city pastors in the Cabinet Room at the White House on Wednesday, Aug 01, 2018 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post via Getty Images)

President Donald Trump has long made it clear that he would like to see a military parade in Washington, and the White House was planning one for Veterans Day of this year until Donald Trump announced he was canceling the event.

His reason: cost overruns, blaming "local politicians":


But turns out, according to Defense Department spokesman Colonel Rob Manning, that's not the case after all.

Manning told reporters at the Pentagon this week:

“The president was not briefed by any member of the Department of Defense on any cost associated with the parade."

It had been reported that the parade would cost an estimated $92 million to organize, well above the initial $12 million estimate.

Naturally, the Defense Department's statements have opened up the president to criticism, and he was derided as a liar.

The $92 million price tag for the event leaked to the media on Thursday, but Secretary of Defense James Mattis disputed it, telling reporters that whoever gave out that cost estimate is “an idiot."

Colonel Manning on Thursday said that he could not confirm the $92 million amount, as “the planning had not reached that level.” and he had not been briefed on figures.

“Any figure that was cited was predecisional. The planning committee for the parade had not reached a point where they have briefed senior leadership in the department. It was moving forward, it had just not matured to that point,” Manning said at the time.

Manning repeated what the Pentagon said on Thursday: That the Pentagon will now “explore opportunities in 2019” to hold the parade.

“We are now going to look at providing options that will go up to the president for a decision for 2019,” he said.

The White House, through Office of Management and Budget director Mick Mulvaney, claimed over the weekend that plans for a military parade were canceled for other reasons besides the cost of the event, but would not specify other “contributing factors.”

On Sunday, Mulvaney told Fox News that he was not in the room when the decision was made to cancel the parade, but noted that he would have been had the parade been canceled “purely for fiscal reasons.”

"If the parade had been canceled purely for fiscal reasons, I imagine I would have been in the room when that was made, and I wasn’t,” he said. “So my guess is there were other contributing factors.”

Mulvaney also sided with Trump's suggestion that local Washington politicians, such as Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser, played a hand in the event's cancelation. He said he thinks Bowser “seems like a nice lady” but that the Washington D.C. City Council does not have the president's best interest at heart.

"This is a city that voted 70 or 80 percent against the president,” Mulvaney said. “So I think maybe the City Council of Washington, D.C., is not trying to help the president accomplish what he wants to accomplish shouldn’t be news to anybody.”

“If the $20 million you just mentioned is a number... that’s a number that I’m not familiar with,” he continued. “The numbers that I saw from the city were much higher than that.”

CNN video/Win McNamee/Getty Images

Maine's Democratic primary is slated for March 3.

The vote will determine who faces off against Senator Susan Collins in November.

Keep reading...
ABC/The View

President Donald Trump has made no effort to keep his thoughts on the trial of his former advisor, Roger Stone, a secret.

Stone was convicted of lying to Congress, obstructing justice, and threatening a witness last year. When prosecutors recommended a seven to nine year prison sentence, Trump fumed on Twitter and the Justice Department subsequently overrode the opinion of its prosecutors, who resigned in response.

Today, Stone was sentenced to 40 months in prison for his crimes, leading everyone to ask: Will Trump pardon one of his most vocal allies?

Keep reading...
Chris Graythen/Getty Images // Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

With 2.4 billion active users, Facebook has become a breeding ground for disinformation. Misleading or outright false allegations played an unignorable part of the assault on the 2016 election and a number of lawmakers say Facebook isn't doing enough to curtail fake news ahead of 2020.

Now a recent Washington Post report detailing Facebook's response to fake news pages after President Donald Trump's shocking victory in 2016 is raising even more concerns.

Keep reading...
Mark Wilson/Getty Images

Republicans often claim their party has the upper hand with voters when it comes to fiscal responsibility. When a Democrat is in office, one of the chief complaints you can count on from Republican lawmakers is that the President is ballooning the deficit, or sending the federal debt skyward.

This hasn't quite been the case when it's a Republican President occupying the White House.

Keep reading...
NBC News

Contenders for the 2020 Democratic nomination debated in Las Vegas, Nevada on Tuesday ahead of the state's primary in the most confrontational debate yet.

Present on the debate stage for the first time was billionaire former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, a late entry to the campaign whose advertising blitz helped contribute to his rise in the polls, despite having yet to appear on a primary ballot.

Keep reading...
Leon Neal/Getty Images

President Donald Trump's constant trips to his own golf properties around the globe has been a matter of some controversy since he took office in 2017.

A constant critic of President Barack Obama's golf outings—which unlike Trump Obama did not personally profit from—the 45th POTUS claimed he would be too busy working to ever play golf.

Keep reading...