Need a clever toast for a wedding or party? Here are some unique and funny drinking cheers perfect for any occasion with friends and family. Giving a toast while drinking is viewed as an expression of honor or goodwill and has ancient origins throughout various cultures. According to legends, the ritual of clinking glasses before drinking evolved from efforts to prove that the drinks were not poisoned or to drive bad spirits away with the sound. However, Snopes says both of these are false.
Its real origins remain lost to history. Throughout the world, it exists in various formats, usually revolving around the word “health” or “toast.” However, the origin of the word “toast” is more recent. According to stories, the word toast became associated with cheersing in the 17th century, based on people putting spiced toast in drinks to improve its flavor. The Metro writes that “the bread soaked up some of the acidity in poor wines.”
After the drink was finished, the celebrants would then consume the toast.
Clinking glasses is an even more recent construct than toasting and mainly serves a physical connection to the toast.
Now that you know, here are some funny drinking toast ideas you haven’t heard:
1. “May our sons have rich fathers and beautiful mothers.”
2. “To our wives and girlfriends… May they never meet.”
3. “Here’s to a long life and a happy one. A quick death and an easy one. A good girl and an honest one. A cold pint and another one.”
4. “Here’s to staying positive and testing negative.”
5. “To absent friends.”
6. “Here’s to those who’ve seen us at our best and seen us at our worst and can’t tell the difference.”
7. “May we be in heaven for half an hour before the devil knows we’re dead.”
8. “Here’s to the nights we’ll never remember with the friends we’ll never forget.”
9. “Our little group has always been, and always will until the end.”
10. “Always remember to forget the things that made you sad. But never forget to remember
the things that made you glad.”