Samsung to Galaxy Note 7 Owners: Turn Off Your Phone and Stop Using It

[DIGEST: CNN, CNET]

Samsung has decided it will discontinue its Galaxy Note 7 smartphone after dozens of reports of devices exploding and catching fire. The Korean firm was forced to recall 2.5 million phones after they went on sale in August, but agreed to halt production permanently following reports that replacement phones were also exploding.


“Because consumers’ safety remains our top priority, Samsung will ask all carrier and retail partners globally to stop sales and exchanges of the Galaxy Note 7 while the investigation is taking place,” the company said in a statement. “Consumers with either an original Galaxy Note 7 or replacement Galaxy Note 7 device should power down and stop using the device and take advantage of the remedies available.” Samsung shares tumbled 8 percent in Seoul as a result. Apple shares rose 1.7 percent after Samsung halted production.

Initially, critics hailed the premium device––which sold for at least $850 in the United States––as the best Android on the market. Customer excitement waned as safety concerns increased, however. A number of customers began to report their phones were exploding, including one in a car and another aboard a passenger jet. Samsung customers criticized the company for its response to these reports. Many customers expressed confusion over whether their phone was safe to use, whether they should return them and whether the company would offer replacement devices.

Samsung told its South Korean customers on Tuesday that they can exchange their Note 7 for another smartphone. The exchange program will begin tomorrow and run through the end of the year. Samsung has not outlined its plans to compensate customers in other markets. Discontinuing the Note 7 could cost Samsung roughly $9.5 billion in lost sales and $5.1 billion of profit.

According to science reporter Sean Hollister, the science behind why these phones exploded is relatively straightforward. Phones “use lithium ion battery packs for their power, and it just so happens that the liquid swimming around inside most lithium ion batteries is highly flammable,” he wrote. “If the battery short-circuits––say, by puncturing the incredibly thin sheet of plastic separating the positive and negative sides of the battery––the puncture point becomes the path of least resistance for electricity to flow.” It then, he continued, “heats up the battery’s flammable liquid electrolyte at that spot.” Should the liquid heat up quickly enough, the battery can explode.

But the Galaxy Note 7 is not the first phone to catch fire, Hollister noted. Nor is it the first phone to face a “giant” recall. Cell phone battery explosions prompted an investigation by the United States Consumer Product and Safety Commission in 2004. And in 2009, Nokia had to recall 46 million phone batteries that were at risk of short-circuiting. “We've known for years that lithium ion batteries pose a risk, but the electronics industry continues to use the flammable formula because the batteries are so much smaller and lighter than less-destructive chemistries,” he concluded. “Lithium-ion batteries pack a punch, for better or for worse.”

Paul Morigi/Getty Images for Daily Front Row // Sarah Silbiger/Getty Images

Former Republican Congressman and current host of MSNBC's Morning Joe, Joe Scarborough, left the Republican party in July of 2017—around six months after the inauguration of President Donald Trump.

Since then, he's used his show to call out the President's (16,000+ and counting) lies—and Tuesday night was no different.

Keep reading...
Fox News

After weeks of enduring the impeachment trial against him in the Senate, President Donald Trump was likely grateful to be in a venue filled with people willing to praise him.

The President spoke at a rally in Wildwood, New Jersey, but at multiple points during the speech, his words got ahead of his thoughts.

At one point, Fox News—which was covering the event—decided to cut away, amid stifled laughter from the hosts.

Keep reading...
Mandel Ngan/AFP via Getty Images

The United States, unlike North Korea and other nations President Donald Trump admires, does not have an official state media channel where the federal government can push propaganda.

But since his 2016 campaign, Trump has spoken as though he does have an official state media in Fox News.

Keep reading...
Leon Neal/Getty Images

Retired General John Kelly served as President Donald Trump's Chief of Staff until late 2018, and now he's siding against Trump on a crucial point.

Former National Security Advisor John Bolton's allegations in his upcoming memoir have rocked the impeachment trial in the Senate. Bolton claims Trump sought to withhold aid from Ukraine until it acquiesced to performing politically beneficial investigations for Trump's reelection bid.

Keep reading...

As calls continue to grow for former National Security Advisor John Bolton to testify before the Senate in President Donald Trump's impeachment trial, Trump's personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani is feeling left out.

Demands for Bolton's testimony skyrocketed among the public after allegations in his upcoming memoir that Trump sought to withhold Ukrainian aid as late as September to secure foreign investigations into Trump's political rivals.

Keep reading...
Fox News

Explosive allegations from an upcoming memoir by former National Security Advisor John Bolton are strengthening the case for additional witnesses at the Senate impeachment trial of President Donald Trump.

According to Bolton's manuscript, the President sought as recently as September to withhold $391 million in congressionally approved aid to Ukraine until its President announced investigations into his political rival, former Vice President Joe Biden.

Keep reading...