Happy Veterans Day. Today we honor our servicemen and women for their sacrifices with these inspirational Bible quotes, passages, and prayers for veterans.
Veterans Day first began as a celebration to mark the anniversary of the end of World War I. It was known as Armistice Day during its original year of 1918 when the Armistice with Germany went into effect. However, it was renamed Veterans Day in 1954 to include all veterans, from both World War II and the Korean War, which both ended in 1945 and 1953, respectively. According to History.com, "In 1954, President Dwight D. Eisenhower officially changed the name of the holiday from Armistice Day to Veterans Day."
This year, because Veterans Day falls on a Saturday, it is observed federally on Friday. If it fell on Sunday, it would have been observed on Monday.
Veterans Day is a day to honor veterans but is not to be confused with Memorial Day, which is in May. Veterans Day celebrates those who served in the military, while Memorial Day honors those who died while serving in the military.
According to Infoplease, 18.8 million are veterans as of 2015. Of that number, 1.6 million are female, 11.6% are black, and 6.8 million of them served in Vietnam. 3.9 million of veterans have service-related disabilities.
This Veterans Day, be sure to thank a veteran for their service.
Inspirational Bible Quotes for Veterans
1. ""…Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go." - Joshua 1:9
2. ""Our soul waits for the LORD; he is our help and our shield. For our heart is glad in him, because we trust in his holy name. Let your steadfast love, O LORD, be upon us, even as we hope in you." — Psalms 33:20-22
3. "And he said, 'The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge; My savior, Thou dost save me from violence. 'I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised; And I am saved from my enemies.'" — 2 Samuel 22:2-4
4. "Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes." — Ephesians 6:11
5. "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." — John 15:13
6. "Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong." — 1 Corinthians 16:13
7. "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." — Psalms 46:1
8. "The Lord gives strength to His people; the Lord blesses His people with peace." — Psalm 29:11
9. "When I am afraid, I put my trust in You. In God, whose word I praise—in God I trust and am not afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?" — Psalm 56:3-4
10. "No soldier in active service entangles himself in the affairs of everyday life, so that he may please the one who enlisted him as a soldier." — 2 Timothy 2:4