Martin Luther King Jr. Day is here, and what better way to celebrate than by reflecting on some of Dr. King's most powerful words and quotes?
Martin Luther King Jr. was born on January 15, 1929, in Atlanta, Georgia. He is recognized today as one of, if not the, most important voice of the civil rights movement and for his endless fight for equality.
For decades, Martin Luther King Jr.'s words have inspired many of us in our own lives. Below, we've gathered some of the top inspirational quotes spoken by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Martin Luther King Jr. Inspirational Quotes
1. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
2. "Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
3. "Free at last, Free at last, Thank God almighty we are free at last."
4. "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
5. "That old law about 'an eye for an eye' leaves everybody blind. The time is always right to do the right thing."
6. "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
7. "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
8. “We are not makers of history. We are made by history.”
9. “We must use time creatively, in the knowledge that the time is always ripe to do right.”
10. “The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education.”
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was a Baptist minister and the leader of the civil rights movement. He was born to Reverend Martin Luther King, Sr. and Alberta Williams King. King had one older sister, Willie Christine King, and one younger brother, Alfred Daniel King. In 1953, he married his wife, Coretta Scott King, an aspiring singer and musician.
King played a crucial role in the creation of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as well as the Voting Rights Act of 1965. In 1964, he received the Nobel Peace Prize for his work. He has been honored with many other awards, and to this day, is recognized as one of the most inspirational leaders in history.