Last year, President Donald Trump was unexpectedly taken to Walter Reed Medical Center, prompting speculation about the President's health.
That speculation was revived again when New York Times reporter Michael Schmidt wrote in his forthcoming book that Vice President Mike Pence was told to be on standby to temporarily take over as President in case Trump needed to be anesthetized for a procedure. That step wasn't necessary.
Trump denied this in a tweet on Tuesday.
Trump insisted that he hadn't had any "mini-strokes," which was especially curious because no outlet had reported that the President had suffered mini-strokes.
Perhaps even more curiously, Trump claimed that his visit last year was to complete his yearly physical, but this contradicts what he said at the time of the visit to Walter Reed.
In the immediate aftermath, Trump said he'd gone to the medical center to do the first part of his yearly physical, with the second part to be completed at a later date.
Then-White House Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham echoed claims that Trump was undergoing the first "portions" of his medical exam, then assured in an interview with Fox News' Jeanine Pirro that the President was in excellent health.
"He is healthy as can be. I put a statement out about that. He's got more energy than anybody in the White House. That man works from 6 a.m. until, you know, very, very late at night. He's doing just fine."
This latest contradiction has only exacerbated the mystery around the President's visit.
But this contradiction wasn't the only red flag.
When asked about reports that he was on standby to take over as President during Trump's visit, Mike Pence stopped short of denying it.