Despite limited formal education, our 16th President of the United States went on to practice law in Illinois and, as we all know, earn a seat as the nation’s leader. A man with that kind of determination and drive is bound to be immortalized for the words that danced off his tongue — and “Honest Abe” certainly did draw crowds with his powerful speeches. Most notably is the Gettysburg Address, delivered on Nov. 19, 1863 at the Soldiers' National Cemetery in Gettysburg, PA.
Beyond the words he shared with the masses and often found within those same public speeches were nuggets of inspiration that remain relevant today. Though Abraham Lincoln would have been 209 years old today (of which, he's been gone from the world for 153 of those years), many of the messages he was known to spin are still relevant today.
In need of inspiration? On Abraham Lincoln's birthday, why not read through some of these memorable quotes, directly from the mouth of a man who was respected by many.
Abraham Lincoln Inspirational Quotes:
- “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.”
- “You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”
- “Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is important than any other.”
- “Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.”
- “Don’t worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition.”
- “My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure.”
- “You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was.”
- “Stand with anybody that stands right, stand with him while he is right and part with him when he is wrong.”
- “The way for a young man to rise is to improve himself in every way he can, never suspecting that anybody wishes to hinder him.”
- “I hold that while man exists, it is his duty to improve not only his own condition, but to assist in ameliorating mankind.”