World leaders and other officials from around the world offered their condolences to Belgium after terror attacks rocked the capital of Brussels early Tuesday morning.
Brussels is home to the headquarters of the European Union (EU). French President Francois Hollande, who rallied the city of Paris following a chaotic year which began with the attacks on the Parisian offices of French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo and ended with a citywide massacre in November, was resolute. “Terrorists struck Brussels but it was Europe that was targeted — and all the world that is concerned,” he said.
“The attacks have, once again, shown terrorism’s global face,” said Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu. His statement comes after Turkey experienced similar attacks in Istanbul and Ankara last week. At least 19 are reported dead as a result of the attacks in Turkey.
In a joint statement, Austrian Chancellor Werner Faymann and Vice-Chancellor Reinhold Mitterlehner as a “cowardly and barbaric signature” designed to divide members of the EU in the struggle against terrorism. “Europe must combat terror jointly and determinedly defend its European values.”
Alexei Pushkov, a prominent Russian lawmaker, has similar thoughts. “It’s time for Europe to understand where the genuine threat is coming from and join efforts with Russia,” he said in a statement.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel was even more concise. “Terrorists will never win,” she said.
President Obama, who is currently visiting Cuba, was briefed on the attacks this morning. “The president was apprised this morning of the explosions in Brussels, Belgium, “an official said in a statement. “U.S. officials have been and will continue to be in close contact with their Belgian counterparts.”
But Donald Trump, who is the current favorite for the Republican nomination, in his trademark style, did not mince words. In fact, he called for heightened border
To read more, continue to the next page.